Thursday, January 3, 2008

Anonymous Coward

Alright, let me be clear about one thing.

I don't expect my publicly accessible blog to remain private. Everything I write here, I write with the knowledge that someone else will probably read it. If I didn't want anyone to read it, I wouldn't publish it.

That's not the issue.

The issue is that someone took my words from this blog, and pasted them over on Mayo's blog, without saying where they came from, who wrote them, or what the intention was. Without asking permission. And they did it anonymously!

I mean, what's the point in posting someone else's words anonymously without any explanation behind it? What were you hoping to achieve? If you're trying to make some kind of statement, can't you even put your own name on it? Are you too afraid to let everyone know who you are?

Yes, I am aware that when a blog is public, anyone can do whatever they want with it. I just expect most decent and mature adults NOT to. At Mayo's blog, we have all quoted each other before. But we always give credit to the original author, and the vast majority of us sign in or use some kind of screen name to post.

To make matters worse, when I commented at Mayo's to point out that this anonymous person had quoted me without permission, I was accused of altering my blog to make it look like Mayo's blog was written in relation to mine!

As if! Why would I go to the trouble?

To tell you the truth, I really don't know if Mayo's blog was written in response to mine. It could be a complete coincidence, as I stated plainly in my last entry.

But as far as my own blog is concerned, what you see is what you get. I write whatever pops into my head, and I do it pretty spontaneously. I don't waste time changing my time stamp or editing my blog title to make it appear more relevant to anyone else's blog. I have no need to make it look like I have a connection to Mayonaise. Whether any connection exists or not, it's quite irrelevant.

So for future reference to all who read this:
If you have questions about something I've written, if you want more clarification, or if you just plain don't believe me... then say it to my face. Comment me. Please. I welcome your input. Ask questions. Shoot my theories down. I am more than happy to read what you have to say and I'll even respond if warranted.

But please, please don't take my words out of context and paste them on another blog without my permission. Please. Yes, I know that anyone can do whatever they want with my words, but I'm asking you nicely to please leave them right where they are unless I give you permission to do otherwise. At the very least, give credit where credit is due. If you didn't write it, you should say who did.

Please. Be courteous. I don't think it's asking too much.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe you.

Andrea said...

That's your choice anon.

undercoverbrother said...

Andrea, I am here now. I was called to get online.

Seriously anon, you are rediculous.

Andrea said...

Thanks, guys. As always, I appreciate your support.

JocelynHolly said...

Andrea, I really don't know exactly what happened with the anonymous' people. But I'm sorry that it did happen! As I told you at Mayo's I am confused. I don't even know why I am confused, but I am.


Take care sweetie!
- 007
<3

Andrea said...

Thanks Paperheart. The whole thing was confusing. I'm not exactly sure how it all spiraled out of control so fast. It really blind sided me. Last night, everyone was all hush-hush, then today I got totally attacked. I didn't see any of it coming. But I feel better after talking to Kapunua, I think I understand why she had questions, and I hope I've answered them for her.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. I appreciate your comment. Like I said before, feel free to ask if there's anything you want to know.

ergoproxy said...

Hi Andrea
I think it was really good of you to come and post the way you did after talking to Kapunua.
And this post now I've come over to read it.
BC had the same happen with her blog and it is a cowardly thing to do.
That's the joy of the internet isn't it, anyone can find anything and interpret it how they please.

Anyway hope to see you about still,I think "Overreaction" should be the name of the next blog, it gets an awful lot like a soap opera in here sometimes.
I had a look at Alie's and UCB's blogs too, I hope they don't mind.

Alie - I hope things work out with your friend, and I could say move to Australia because it is really great, but I'm biased. And I do live at the same latitude as Cancun so the climate is good!
Like I said, totally biased.

And for UCB I only have one thing to say- The Kardashians? and a marathon??
Nothing else on tv huh?
lol

Kassiopeia said...

In the cold light of day I realise I may have been a little harsh towards you last night. For that I apologise. My initial post regarding your blog was just transferring what had been discussed over at DM, but I concede that I may have gone too far with my "mutually exclusive" comment. I'm not normally in the business of ragging on other bloggers.

Kass xx

Andrea said...

Ergoproxy, thanks for your support. I felt like I got hit by a bus yesterday. I agree, overreaction is a problem at Mayo's house. That's the whole reason why I stayed away as long as I did. I hate that kind of drama. I never imagined I would end up at the center of it.

Kass, yes you were pretty harsh yesterday, but I accept and appreciate your apology. It's easy to get carried away in the heat of an argument. I know because I've done it too. I just hope we'll be able to move forward now that everything has been explained.

JocelynHolly said...

Thanks Paperheart. The whole thing was confusing. I'm not exactly sure how it all spiraled out of control so fast. It really blind sided me. Last night, everyone was all hush-hush, then today I got totally attacked. I didn't see any of it coming. But I feel better after talking to Kapunua, I think I understand why she had questions, and I hope I've answered them for her.

I was wondering why it was nearly dead on Wednesday night! People were calling out to Mayo, and I was confused as hell. I think that the confusion has finally left me, so that is good. But I'm glad that you cleared the air with Kapunua. (that's the right expression right?) I'm soo sorry that you had to sit back and get attacked by anons and others. Really that must've hurt. I agree with Ergoproxy, overreaction is huge problem currently.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. I appreciate your comment. Like I said before, feel free to ask if there's anything you want to know.

Thanks dear. I don't think I have any questions to ask you.

xoxo;
- 007
<3

ergoproxy said...

Thanks Andrea I do know how it feels but it does all get resolved in the end.
Unfortunately there is the tendency for some to begin a panic and it's easy for many to then get caught up in it. I think the tone of the blogs and of those commenting has changed the atmosphere a bit.
Glad it's resolved anyway.

Alie I should say I am at an equivalent latitude to Cancun but it's in the northern hemisphere and I'm in the south, I'm in beautiful tropical north Queensland in Australia (why I'm biased about living here)But our climate is the same.Beaches, reefs, rainforest etc etc.
(I can go on for hours!)And I think the Bahamas are separate as far as I know.:)